MeetDenmark was established as an independent association at the beginning of 2015 by the Ministry of Business Industry and Financial Affairs and the five Danish regions on the basis of the Danish Tourism Act (2014).
In continuation of the revision of the Danish Government's business promotion policy and the expiry of the regions' tasks within tourism, the association has been restructured as of January 1, 2019.
MeetDenmark's members are per January 1, 2019:
- Ministry of Business Industry and Financial Affairs
- Inspiring Denmark
- Wonderful Copenhagen
Board of Directors
MeetDenmark's Board of Directors are:
Rasmus Rosenkilde Jerver (Director VisitAalborg) - Chairman
Mikkel Aarø-Hansen (CEO Wonderful Copenhagen) - Vice Chairman
Birgitte Hee Olesen (Director of Inspiring Denmark)
Jan Olsen (Director VisitDenmark)
Peer H. Kristensen (Director VisitAarhus)
MeetDenmark's purpose is to develop and promote Danish business and meeting tourism, including strengthening private and public efforts to attract more international conventions and meetings to Denmark, with the aim of creating growth and development in the tourism industry and Danish business in general.
MeetDenmark's strategic objectives are:
- To develop new knowledge and tools that contribute positively to the international competitiveness of Danish business tourism destinations
- To consolidate Denmark in the top 20 in the destination ranking of The International Congress and Convention Association (ICCA).
MeetDenmark's core tasks are:
- To further strengthen the societal value of the international conventions that are held in Denmark
- To further develop convention bids and further increase the economic tourism turnover of the international conventions.
MeetDenmark's primary focus areas are:
- Recruitment of Danish hosts: Recruiting potential national convention hosts in collaboration with regional and local knowledge environments
- Bidding: Developing bids for international conventions together with national, regional and local, public and private partners
- Profiling of business and meeting tourism in Denmark: Marketing and branding of Denmark as a leading convention and meeting destination together with VisitDenmark
- Competence development: Joint upgrading of competencies across the Danish business tourism destinations
- Development: Development of international market knowledge and positioning. Development of new common tools, for example to strengthen the competitiveness of Danish meeting destinations and the societal impact of the conventions.
Finance, performance contracts and bylaws
MeetDenmark has DKK 4.2 million annually in the period 2019-2021 on the Danish Finance Act. In addition, there is an annual subscription from members totalling DKK 3.6 million DKK.
Furthermore, it is noted that the national funds are ‘geared’ locally at the destinations.
MeetDenmark has an annual ‘Target and Performance Plan’ with the Ministry of Business Industry and Financial Affairs.
The MeetDenmark bylaws can be seen here (in Danish).